A STUDY OF EFFECTS OF POOR OFFICE ENVIRONMENT ON THE SECRETARY’S JOB PERFORMANCE
(A CASE STUDY OF IMT ENUGU)
This research work “The effects of poor office environment on the secretary’s job performance” was carried out with the overall aim of finding out the effects of poor office environment on the secretarys job performance.
Institute of management an dtechnology was used as a case study. The data for this study was collected through the use of questionnaire and observation methods. The administered questionnaire were analysed in tabular forms use simple percentages. The out come of the study proved that the depressing and stimulating nature of most office were a ferreaching negative effects on the overall job performance of secretaries, equally small floor space and congested nature of some office does not give the secretary adequate comfort and balance to discharge their duties effectively and efficiently.
Other problems included poor reminerations, lack of necessary equipment and mose proof devices in most of the office. Based on these findings the research recommended that:
1. Office should be stimulating and comfortably furnished so as to encourage productivity and boast the moral of the secretary.
2. there should be crongh floor space and if possible separate rooms to avoid over crowding and chestier of materials which make on office to look shabby and depressed.
3. the management of the institute should establish a pension scheme and adequate remuneration its workers and in particular the secretary in order to boast their moral and encourage the to stay in their section.
4. equally necessary office equipment and stationary should be provided to the secretary.
BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY
The work of a secretary is very delicate and confidential and as such a healthy office environment is necessary to enable her discharge her duties efficiently.
An understanding of the office environment in the enhancement of a secretary’s morale via-a-vis job performance is necessary in every organization.
Generally, office environment has serious impact on the job performance of workers. The office and its appearance conduction of work, materials available and their location, safety measures medical care, relationship among the members of staff and the boss remunerations and other social welfare recognized to be main elements of work on office environment which directly related to workers moral, and inellingness to discharge their duties effectively.
The secretary is an indispensable staff and as such management has to place high priority on how best to motivate her.
The nature of work environment invariably has direct effect on the morale and state of health of a secretary, hence, her general performance in the discharge of her duties.
The office environment thus, influences the volume and quality of work, interest and happiness of a secretary.
Office environment in the context of management has been defined to include to include, office building and layout, furniture and equipment the physical conditions under which the secretary operates- lighting, heating, ventilation, decoration, sound proof measure, safety measures and such, social conditions as relationship with members of staff and boss, remuneration and welfare package etc.
1.2 STATEMENT OF THE PROBLEM
Generally, it is believed that when on environment is not conducive, a worker cannot discharge his/her responsibilities as efficiently and effectively as expected.
In effect the fundamental duties of a secretqry are highly prejudiced and jeopardize by an arease and unstimulating environmental.
Today, there are many problems encounted by secretaries resulting from poor work environment which greatly affect their job performance. Amongst these is lack of private office secretaries most times share offices with other staff, some of which lack basic amenities befitting her status.
1.3 OBJECTIVES OF THE STUDY
This study is meant to investigate the following:
1. The effects of a depressing and unsjimulating nature of the office environmental on the secretary’s job performance.
2. the effect of small floor space and congested office surroundings on the secretary’s job performance vis-à-vis her attitudes to work.
3. the effect of absence of some basic amenities such as air conditioners, fan, executive seats and jesles on the moral of a secretary and her general attitude to work.
4. other problems in the office environmental militating against effective job performance of secretaries.
5. recommand how best to improve the office environment for the smooth operation of secretaries if it has any serious effects on their job performance.